NDRC  No. 80
People’s governments of provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities directly under the Central Government, ministries and commissions of the State Council, and agencies directly under the Central Government:
Plastic is widely used in production and life and is an important basic material. Irregular production, use of plastic products, and recycling of plastic waste will cause waste of energy resources and environmental pollution, and increase pressure on resources and the environment. Actively responding to plastic pollution is related to the health of the people and the construction of ecological civilization and high-quality development in China. In order to implement the decision-making arrangements of the Party Central Committee and the State Council, further strengthen the management of plastic pollution, and establish and improve a long-term management mechanism for plastic products, with the consent of the State Council, the following opinions are proposed.
I General requirements
(1) Guiding ideology. Guided by Xi Jinping’s ideology of socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era, fully implement the spirit of the 19th CPC National Congress and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Plenary Sessions of the 19th CPC National Congress, adhere to the people-centered, firmly establish a new development concept, and orderly prohibit and restrict production, sales and use of some plastic products, actively promote alternative products, standardize plastic waste recycling, establish and improve management systems for the production, distribution, use, recycling and disposal of plastic products, effectively and orderly and effectively control plastic pollution, and strive to build Beautiful China.
(2) Basic principles.
Highlight the key points and proceed in an orderly manner. Strengthen source governance, seize key areas and important links in the production and use of plastic products, and put forward management requirements in accordance with the outstanding issues reflected by the society; comprehensively consider the actual conditions in various regions and areas, reasonably determine the implementation path, and actively and steadily promote plastic pollution governance work.
Leading by innovation, supported by technology. Guided by recyclability, easy recycling, and degradability, we develop and promote plastic products and substitute products that meet performance standards, are green and environmentally friendly, and are economically applicable, and cultivate new business models that are conducive to standardizing recycling and recycling and reducing plastic pollution.
Diversified participation and social governance. Giving play to the main responsibility of enterprises, strengthening government supervision and management, strengthening policy guidance, consolidating social consensus, and forming a pluralistic co-governance system with the participation of governments, enterprises, industry organizations, and the public.
(3) The main objectives. By 2020, take the lead in banning and restricting the production, sales and use of some plastic products in some regions and areas. By 2022, the consumption of disposable plastic products will be significantly reduced, alternative products will be promoted, and the proportion of plastic waste resources and energy utilization will be significantly increased; in the areas of prominent plastic pollution problems and emerging areas such as e-commerce, express delivery, and takeaway, a number of reproducible and scalable plastic reduction and green logistics models. By 2025, the management system for the production, distribution, consumption, recycling and disposal of plastic products will be basically established, and a multi-party co-governance system will be basically formed. The level of development and application of alternative products will be further improved. The amount of plastic waste in key cities will be significantly reduced, and plastic pollution will be effectively controlled.
II Prohibition and restriction on the production, sale and use of some plastic products
(4) Plastic products that are prohibited from being produced or sold. The production and sale of ultra-thin plastic shopping bags with a thickness of less than 0.025 mm and polyethylene agricultural mulch with a thickness of less than 0.01 mm are prohibited. It is forbidden to make plastic products from medical wastes. Ban on the import of waste plastics. By the end of 2020, the production and sale of disposable foam plastic tableware and disposable plastic cotton swabs are prohibited; the production of daily chemical products containing plastic microbeads is prohibited. By the end of 2022, the sale of daily chemical products containing plastic beads is prohibited.
(5) Prohibited or restricted plastic products.
1. Non-degradable plastic bag. By the end of 2020, non-degradable plastic bags are prohibited in the shopping malls, supermarkets, pharmacies, bookstores, and other places, as well as catering packaged take-out services and various exhibition activities in municipalities, provincial capitals, and planned cities. Fair trade market regulations and restrictions on the use of non-degradable plastic bags; by the end of 2022, the scope of implementation will be extended to all built-up areas above the prefecture level and coastal built-up counties. By the end of 2025, the use of non-degradable plastic bags is prohibited in the bazaars in the above areas. Where possible, encourage non-degradable plastic bags to be used in places such as urban-rural junctions, towns, and rural markets.
2. Disposable plastic tableware. By the end of 2020, non-degradable disposable plastic straws are prohibited in the catering industry nationwide; non-degradable disposable plastic tableware is forbidden for catering services in catering establishments and scenic spots in cities above the prefecture level. By the end of 2022, the use of non-degradable disposable plastic tableware is prohibited in the catering services of built-up areas and scenic spots in the county seat. By 2025, the consumption intensity of non-degradable disposable plastic tableware in the catering and take-out area of cities above the prefecture level will decrease by 30%.
3. Disposable plastic supplies for hotels. By the end of 2022, star-rated hotels and other places nationwide will no longer actively provide disposable plastic supplies. Related services can be provided by setting up self-service purchase machines and providing refillable detergents. By the end of 2025, the scope of implementation will be expanded to all hotels and homestays.
4. Express plastic packaging. By the end of 2022, postal delivery outlets in Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangdong and other provinces will ban the use of non-degradable plastic packaging bags and disposable plastic woven bags to reduce the use of non-degradable plastic tapes. By the end of 2025, non-degradable plastic packaging bags, plastic tapes, and disposable plastic woven bags are prohibited in postal express outlets nationwide.
III Promotion and application of alternative products and models
(6) Promote and apply alternative products. In shopping malls, supermarkets, drug stores, bookstores and other places, promote the use of non-plastic products such as environmentally friendly cloth bags, paper bags and degradable shopping bags, and encourage the installation of self-service, intelligent placement devices to facilitate the lives of the people. Promote the use of biodegradable packaging films (bags) for fresh products. Establish a centralized buying and selling system for shopping bags in the bazaar. Promote the use of bio-based products such as straw-covered lunch boxes that meet performance and food safety requirements, as well as alternative products such as degradable plastic bags, in the field of food and beverage delivery. Promote degradable mulch in key film-covered areas in combination with agronomic measures.
(7) Cultivate and optimize new business models. Strengthen corporate green management responsibility and promote green supply chain. E-commerce, take-out and other platform enterprises should strengthen the management of resident merchants, formulate a one-time reduction plan for the reduction of disposable plastic products, and release the implementation situation to the society. Focusing on chain supermarkets, large-scale bazaar markets, logistics warehousing, and e-commerce express delivery, enterprises are encouraged to actively promote recyclable and foldable packaging products and logistics distribution appliances through equipment leasing and financing leasing. Enterprises are encouraged to adopt equity cooperation and joint capital injection to build a cross-platform operating system for recyclable packaging. Encourage enterprises to use integrated packaging of goods and logistics and establish a recycling system for recyclable logistics and distribution appliances.
(8) Increase the supply of green products. Plastic product manufacturing enterprises must strictly implement relevant laws and regulations, produce plastic products that meet relevant standards, and must not add chemical additives that are harmful to the human body and the environment in violation of regulations. Promote green design to improve the safety and recycling performance of plastic products. Actively adopt new green and environmentally-friendly functional materials, increase the use of recycled plastics that meet quality control standards and use control requirements, strengthen the development of recyclable, easily recyclable, degradable alternative materials and products, reduce application costs, and effectively increase the supply of green products.
IV Regulate the recycling and disposal of plastic waste
Original Chinese article: