Recently, eight national environmental protection standards were publicly solicited by the Ministry of Ecology and Environment of China for relevant opinions or suggestions: “Technical Guidelines for Ecological Protection Red Line Background Investigation”, “Technical Regulations for Ecological Protection Red Line Monitoring”, “Technical Guidelines for Ecological Protection Red Line Ecological Function Evaluation”, etc. The Standards Research Center of CBCGDF and the CBCGDF Legal Work Committee attached great importance to it and gathered particularly a working group for specialized study, research, and discussion.
Regarding the “Technical Guide for Accounting of Ecological Compensation Standards for Ecological Protection Red Lines” (Consultation Draft) (short as”Ecological Compensation Guide”), it was proposed to add “T/CGDF 00005-2020 “Biodiversity Compensation Standards”, the overall increase of “Biodiversity Compensation Principles”, the leading ecological function importance coefficient should be expanded to 17, “compensation subject” should be mainly according to the levels of government, also other six amendment proposals including access to benefiting enterprises. As of June 29, including the proposed amendments to the 8 series of standards or specifications including the “Ecological Compensation Guide”, the Standards Research Center of CBCGDF and the CBCGDF Legal Work Committee have respectively sent out emails and official letters, which were submitted to the Ministry of Ecology and Environment.
The specific proposal for the “Technical Guide for the Verification of Ecological Compensation Standards for Ecological Protection Red-Line (Consultation Draft)” are as follows:
1. “2 Normative references”: to quote T/CGDF 00005-2020 “Biodiversity Compensation Standards”.
T/ CGDF 00005-2020 “Standard for Biodiversity Compensation” (Standard for Biodiversity Compensation) is organized by CBCGDF, CBCGDF Standards Research Center, and CBCGDF Legal Work Committee refers to and summarizes the domestic and international experience in ecological and biodiversity compensation, and officially released and implemented the group standards. The standard incorporates hot issues such as human-beast conflict compensation and ecological function zone compensation. This standard and the “Biodiversity Investigation and Monitoring Standards” (T/CGDF 00001-2020), “Biodiversity Assessment Standards” (T/CGDF 00002-2020), “Biodiversity Restoration Standards” (T/CGDF 00003- 2020) and the “Biodiversity Adaptation Standards” (T/CGDF 00004-2020) belong to a series of biodiversity conservation work standards.
2. To add “4 Basic Principles” under “3 Terms and Definitions” (see: Appendix T/CGDF00005-2020 “Biodiversity Compensation Standards” Item 4 “4 Principles of Biodiversity Compensation”)
Ecological compensation should be under the general principle of “who develops, protects, destroys, restores, benefits compensates, pollutes, and pays”, which is reflected in the fact that the compensation purpose should be zero net loss, and the compensation benefits should be long-term. Compensation objects should be adjusted according to circumstances and involve more subjects and be jointly monitored.
3. To use the “ecosystem service function value” currently recognized ecosystem services The functions include atmospheric regulation, climate regulation, interference regulation, moisture regulation, and other 17 service functions covered (Costanza et al. 1997) when accounting the “leading ecological function importance coefficient” part of “Compensation Standard Accounting”, to consider not only the four parts of water conservation, soil and water conservation, etc. in the calculation, ). [Ecosystem service function value] Quantitative accounting method: You can refer to the mature method summarized and summarized in the preparation instructions of the “Ecological Protection Red Line Ecological Function Evaluation Technical Guide (Consultation Draft)”.
The ecosystem service function value is generated by the ecosystem in the ecological red line region, which is importantly beneficial to human beings and other regions. For example, the value of ecosystem service functions generated in Qinling should be properly compensated by other benefited areas on the basis of a comprehensive calculation of their ecological value.
4. The “compensation subject” should mainly focus on governments at all levels, taking into account access to benefiting enterprises.
Based on the basic principle of “who develops, protects, destroys, restores, benefits compensates, pollutes, and bears responsibility”, ecological destroyers will pay-off for their behaviors.
5. To add “Compensation for Pollution or Damage” to this standard (see: “5.2 Pollution Compensation” in Appendix T/CGDF 00005-2020 “Biodiversity Compensation Standards”).
At present, the compensation subject in the “Technical Guide for Approval of Ecological Compensation Standards for Ecological Protection Red Line” is only the government, and it is difficult for the government to rely on the government to mobilize the enthusiasm of the participating subjects. In addition, it is completely dependent on financial funds, which is very expensive. It is recommended to consider the compensation of the admittance enterprises within the ecological red line. If the admittance enterprises produce pollution or damage, they can refer to the calculation method of the appeal to compensate/compensate the government.
6. To include “Compensation for Human-Animal Conflict” (see: “5.3 Compensation for Human-Animal Conflict” in Appendix T/CGDF 00005-2020 “Biodiversity Compensation Standards”).
With the improvement of environmental protection and the frequent occurrence of human-animal conflicts, it has become an increasingly prominent issue in subsequent protection. The ecological red line standard proposes to clarify the concept of human-beast conflict compensation and specific compensation measures. Thus, human-beast conflict compensation is not only reflected in the system but also regulated in the implementation standard.
Format Correction Proposal
1. At the “3 Terms and Definitions”: capitalize the first letter.
Original Chinese article:
By / Yao Jiahui (Intern)
you can support us via paypal:
or scan the QR codes to donate: