On behalf of Mr. Hu Deping, Mr. Hu Zhaoguang and Chairman Xie Boyang of China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation (CBCGDF), I would like to express my gratitude to all the staff of CBCGDF, all the committee members, including the expert committee, professional committee, working committee and management committee of the special fund. I’d also like to extend my New Year wish to volunteers working in the front line of more than 180 Community Conservation Areas (CCAfas), to the members of the Civilization Stations, Demonstration Bases for Biodiversity Conservation in Our Neighborhood (BCON) and the Green Young Bases, and to our friends who have been supporting CBCGDF’s work.
At the end of the year 2021, leaders of China Association for Science and Technology (CAST) came to CBCGDF for research with comrades from relevant departments, affirmed our work, while making two important suggestions as follows.
1) To serve frontier scientific research through policy-making consultation.
We are expected to engage actively with good advice before decisions are made, not just criticize them after they are made. We have been very critical of a great deal of work, and have reversed some situations. However, our decision-making advisory work hasn’t aroused that much attention from the wide public, and we need to further increase publicity.
2) To move the service forward, and actively take part prior to the environment assessment, instead of just criticizing the results after all done.
We’ve set a lot of standards, participated in some assessments, and provided objective professional advice for some work including court rulings on pangolins. However, this is far from enough. In the new year, I hope that we will take these two recommendations as a guide to strengthen our work in this area and seriously implement them.
In 2022, we will focus on work from the following 3 aspects:
1) Construction of the national society framework: we’re to be a world-class society. In addition to our own construction, we’ll actively participate in global science and technology governance while taking part in global environmental governance, which will become a very important work for us in 2022.
2) As a foundation, we should focus on fundraising, so that we’ll have more funds to support environmental charity, to support ecological civilization, biodiversity conservation and green development.
3) We also need to strengthen our work as scientific research and science & technology service entity.
In this way, more people will see our efforts to serve economic and social development.
Let’s roll up our sleeves and work harder in the new year!
Original Chinese Article: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/T7s80gZt4hd4obvQPFbboQ